Sunday, May 24, 2015

5/23/15: Chilling at Huacachina

I had originally planned for this day to be a really busy one - bus from Lima to Ica, then visit Ica for the afternoon, then return to the hostel in Huacachina. It turned out to be the most chill day I've had in Peru.

I woke up early to catch my bus - 6:30 to be ready at 7, to get to the bus stop at 7:30, an hour before the bus as instructed. I said my goodbyes to Tess (Antonio was still sleeping) and made my way to the Metropolitano. It was just as crowded as it had been last night, only this time I was carrying a backpack that basically takes up the same amount of room as another person. Needless to say, I could not wait for it to be over.

When I got off, I realized that I didn't have a map for the location of the Cruz del Sur bus station. Tess and Antonio had given me vague instructions as to the general direction of the station the night before, but I didn't know if it was right along the main road or off of it, and panicked. I tried to pull it up on my phone, but with no address, it didn't work very well. I decided to just trust it and keep walking, and I got lucky because I saw a stop with a huge sign saying "Cruz del Sur" all over the top, thanking all heavens and earth that I could find it.

It took me a while to figure out how to get my actual ticket with the voucher I had, but I was able to do that and check in my bag before getting on the bus (and panicking more about whether I was getting on the right bus, if I needed to check in my bag, etc.). It was not a great experience because I couldn't understand anything that the people trying to help me were saying, but I'm relieved that it turned out okay. Thank goodness.

The bus ride was long but fine. I thankfully did not have someone to sit next to, but I was annoyed that they played two movies using the intercom sound system. It made it a lot harder to sleep, and I had left my earplugs in my checked bag. I made it through, and was surprised at how small the bus station was in Ica. I bought a bus ticket to Nazca, and wanted to get one from there to Cusco but that cost a ton of money (140 soles) that I didn't have in cash because I had spent everything on Machu Picchu the day before. I wandered around, debating whether I should try to walk to my hostel with the luggage, but eventually decided to take a taxi. I hailed one, and for 7 soles (a little over $2) the driver tried to talk to me in Spanish that I barely understood, but he was really sweet and tried to help me out, but I guess I got embarrassed again that I couldn't understand what he was saying and stopped trying.

By the time I found my hostel, it was 2 pm, and I decided just to take the day and walk along the Huacachina lagoon and read. For the record, having no money sucks, but The Maze Runner is amazing so far! I'm only halfway through but I'm in love with Thomas already (it helps that Dylan O'Brien is the person I have in mind). I walked up the sand dunes a little but didn't realize that trying to walk up sand it like trying to breathe underwater, basically. I made it up a little hill and decided to read and watch the sunset from there!





Overall, a very chill day, but I'm going to make it to Ica tomorrow and wander around the Plaza de Armas like a bumbling tourist once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment