Sunday, August 2, 2015

8/2/15: First day in Arica!

I made it to Arica! I woke up a little late this morning, but Antonio (my Couchsurfing host from Iquique) was nice enough to drive me to the bus terminal, where I caught a bus right away to Arica. I arrived a little nervous because I hadn't been able to find the address that my Arica Couchsurfing host gave me on Google Maps. Luckily, the taxi driver knew exactly where it was, and the reception/security guy was able to contact him. Woo!

I spent the afternoon walking to the beach (just one block from the apartment!). Since it's Sunday afternoon, it actually works out quite well because there are a lot of people around. I bought some food - including a "completo" or hot dog with mayonnaise, tomatoes, and avocado - and ended up walking about 1.5 hours to the center of the city. It's nice! It has a really modern feel, complete with a McDonald's and car-free zone. I didn't find too many places of interest, and certainly none of the museums, but hopefully I can get a better feel of the city tomorrow!

The route along the beach is really nice. I have a great view and easy access to the ocean, and I'm really excited to have the opportunity to be so close to it! There are two other girls here in the apartment - 2 bedrooms, one workroom, one bathroom, and a living room/kitchen. That doesn't leave a lot of space to do much else, but I'm not complaining about the situation at all. After all, it could be a lot worse! I'm excited to have some time to just chill, and hopefully see everything that Arica has to offer in the next couple days!

No comments:

Post a Comment