Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ghana Day 10, 8/12/14

Today was the last day of clinic, which made me really sad to think about because I have genuinely enjoyed working in clinic these past several days. I’ve been able to interact directly with patients, see how the vital signs and symptoms add up to a diagnosis, observe tooth extractions, and fulfill their resulting prescriptions. On the hour-long bus ride towards the community, I was thinking about the work that I’ve been doing in the Ekumfi district of the Central region of Ghana over the last week or so, and I couldn’t help but think that I was exactly where I wanted to be, doing something that I wouldn’t want trade to do anything else. Working with global health is definitely something that has been incredibly rewarding and very fun, and I’ve had such a great experience with this internship so far. Even though it is tough to get over the language barrier that I have with most of the Ghanaians that we are working with in community, I feel that I have helped so many people (I found out after clinic today that we saw 360 total patients) and gained so much from my 9 days of work here so far. I am ecstatic with the opportunities that I’ve had to learn more about health and work directly with natives of Ghana, and see a little bit of what it’s like to do public health and grassroots research. It’s not to say that our tasks have been easy, because getting used to speaking to people for the information that they have is always difficult. Despite the awkwardness I’ve felt, the bug bites that I’ve had to endure, the long bus rides, the late meetings, not having internet for the past 9 days, etc., I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to really experience global health clinical and research work in a hands-on environment. I obviously still have a lot to learn about the field and about how to become a successful professional, but I couldn’t help but think that I was in a really great place and doing work that I just want to continue for an indefinite time so far. It’s a feeling that I know is difficult to find and is often absent from most professional environments, so I need to remember what it feels like so I can make the most of what I do in the future.
The first thing that happened today was that one of the interpreters, Bernice, braided my hair into a fishtail braid, which was awesome!

I spent the day in OB/GYN first, and then went to triage for the afternoon. I’m really happy that I had a little bit of downtime with which I was able to ask the midwife and OB/GYN nurse, Georgina Afrifa, about her job and the knowledge that the community members have about topics of women’s health. I thought back to the Millennium Development Goals, which are 8 broad goals that have quantitative targets and indicators, many of which we are working on by having this clinic and, more specifically, an OB/GYN station. In case you’re wondering what those MDGs are:
  • ·         Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
  • ·         Achieve universal primary education
  • ·         Promote gender equality and empower women
  • ·         Reduce child mortality
  • ·         Improve maternal health
  • ·         Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
  • ·         Ensure environmental sustainability
  • ·         Global partnership for development

I’ve highlighted the ones that fit with this internship, both directly and indirectly. Especially with our short presentation that we used today to show some of the women that came to our focus group yesterday about nutrition; they asked whether we could put together some information about how to feed themselves and their children better. Taking their request in mind and knowing that they have a limited variety of foods, I hope they can take our information and implement it into their lives.

When I asked, Georgina told me that women from rural areas often don’t know that the vaginal area has natural discharge and think that they are infected or sick when they see discharge from that area. As a result, they sometimes try to get it out with their fingers, which leaves it very dry and more prone to infections and other health problems. Throughout the morning, we saw several people who came to the station asking for their discharge to be checked out, but after asking the patients some questions, we could tell that they were healthy and just unaware of their body’s natural phenomenon. In some of the older women that we saw, they started to bleed as soon as Georgina opened the vagina because they had become so dry and tight.

Additionally, Georgina explained to me that women in these communities know to expect their period every month and starting at a certain age for the girls, but they don’t necessarily know what it is for or what it indicates. They know that it means the girls can physically start to bear children (as in, they can get pregnant) and start to tell them about it, but sometimes Georgina has seen pregnant women who tell her that they’ve been expecting their period for the last however long and it hasn’t yet come. I was taken aback by that because I’ve been taught about reproductive physiology and pregnancy since elementary school, and here were expectant mothers who did not know information I’ve had for almost a decade.

When I asked about maternal care, Georgina told me that they know that new mothers should not use cold water to bathe or drink (which is also the case in Chinese culture) and that they will sometimes have help from the grandparents in the first month or so. However, because their economy is rather poor, they often go back to working (farming, typically) within about two months. They don’t have the luxury of taking any more time off and have to support their families with their manual labor. Some mothers will sit in hot water for the first 5 days, but this practice is quickly going out-of-date because more and more women are having their vaginas cut during the birthing process to make more room for the child to come out.

When we started seeing patients, we saw many different cases. I saw several young women who said vaginal discharge was a symptom they were seeing because they didn’t know it was natural, a couple patients who had infections, etc. There was one 23-year old who seemed to be extremely reluctant to allow Georgina to check on her and was very uncooperative, which I guess comes with the profession and a culture where women are expected to constantly take care of other people before themselves and to give way to men first.

There was one elderly lady that came to our station, lay down, and showed us these hard and dark lumps that had formed under her breasts. Georgina didn’t know what they were, so she called in Dr. Appa to check them out. His diagnosis was that she had something like a skin infection that could very likely be a precursor to breast cancer, so we had to refer her to a hospital to get it checked out. The funny thing is, she told us that she had been seeing these bumps only for the last 2 months, but when her granddaughter came in (the 23-year old who was incredibly uncooperative with us), she told us that her grandmother had those for the past 4 years or so. Clearly one or both of them are not telling the truth, but we have to assume that the longer time period is the truth in this case and act accordingly.

Even though I had no part in it, I enjoyed the part of OB/GYN where Georgina doesn’t do any exams and instead just sits the teenage patient down and educates her about her body and health. It was great to see her take that time to talk individually with them and be candid with the information, delivering it without judgment. I think that she was very skilled with creating an environment of privacy and open dialogue, which I very much appreciate from a health professional. I admired her ability and desire to just sit down and give young girls information that they would have very little access to otherwise because that is how we can actually start making a significant difference with the younger generation, especially in problems such as teenage pregnancy.

I spent the afternoon after lunch in triage. I worked with an interpreter named Nana, but there were not very many patients. I was only able to see about four or so patients, so I spent most of my time talking a little bit with Nana and the other interpreters. She told me that she had never traveled outside of Ghana either, but she definitely wanted to. She has siblings and family in the US and the UK, and she said that each time she compares the presents that her family members bring from the US and UK, she finds that the US items are cheaper but higher quality. I’m not sure that I believe it, but I think it’s interesting that she thinks this way.

When we were packing the leftover medications into the van at the end, we were swarmed by the kids and were able to take some really great photos. The most interesting thing that happened was when one of the interns decided to pour some of her clean water from her water bottle into the cups that we had given the kids earlier, and they treated the water as if it was a precious commodity. They scarfed it down and started to ask for more and one little girl who didn’t have a cup tried to take the cup of one of the infants, which we tried to stop right away. In a community that is lacking clean water, I was not so surprised to see water treated that way but I’m sad that it has to come to this.

The little girl who tried to take the other girl’s water also happened to have visited us on day 2 of the clinic, and at that time she was wearing a cloth neck brace. Her father explained that she had fallen before and hurt her neck. When we asked her how her neck was and started to rock our heads from side to side, she imitated us but with more force. It was really cute to see how much she wanted to interact with us, but we quickly stopped her because we didn’t want her to injure her neck further after she had the brace removed.

One of the kids we were playing with suddenly pointed at me and said, “China” when we were playing too, and it reminded me of the kids from the Anomabo community we met on Day 2 of the internship that called Ed “China” as well. It makes me wonder what kind of information Ghanaians, rural or from the cities, have access to about Asians, or Chinese people specifically. I was definitely surprised to hear the little girl say that to me, but I guess it’s an indicator that they have some awareness about the world, even if it is very little. The thing is, out of all the Ghanaian staff that I’ve asked thus far, none of them has mentioned any country outside of the US that they would like to travel to. I imagine it’s because they have the most exposure to the United States (which I’ve noticed in the UK and Ghana is just called “The States”) through media and language, and it seen as a beacon of opportunity. The interesting part of that is that I have merely asked where they would like to visit, not whether they would like to live there. Nevertheless, the US is the most highly-desired travel destination based on the people that I’ve have the opportunity to ask.






The last thing that happened today when we met back up with the sustainable development interns was that they shared some tiger nuts that they were gifted from the community they visited. Before this, I had no idea what they were, but I decided to try them and was pleasantly surprised because they taste like shredded coconut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment