Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ghana Day 9, 8/11/14

I had a really great day on the third day of clinic in the triage station. My interpreter was a guy named Roy, and he was patient with me and really helped me out when interacting with the patients. I was taking temperature, pulse and respiratory rates, and blood pressure, and then asking about initial symptoms of the community members that came to see us.

I had a great time really getting to interact directly with the patients, who came with some very typical problems. I saw many, many older people with all types of pains, kids with coughs and fevers, and had a fun time acting as the nurse in the clinic. One of the best parts of triage was getting to know Roy better, because he seemed to be a wealth of information and contemplation. He told me that he is the only son with 5 sisters, which he doesn’t particularly mind. He has not been to that many places around the world, but he definitely wants to travel in the future. Currently, however, he is limited because his mother is very particular and paranoid about his safety whenever he goes to different places. He told me that she is scared even when she travels with Global Brigades to different communities that are farther away, or when he goes to visit his sisters in different regions of Ghana. While I can certainly sympathize with him, I know that I have more freedom to travel because of the experience that I have with it.

I asked him about his education, and he told me that he is halfway through his degree in investing. He chose it because most banks and larger corporations now look for people who have backgrounds in IT, even though he doesn’t particularly enjoy it. The whole time, I was having a little bit of a hard time hearing exactly what he was saying (something I’ve noticed about Ghanaians is that they tend to speak softly and they have a pretty strong accent, which I have trouble with). However, I managed to catch that education is important to him, but it’s not very accessible to Ghanaians at all. Instead of being able to take out loans or work during school to help cover the costs, there are almost no students who pay for university educations with their own money. They have to depend on their parents to pay, and that creates a cycle by which the rich get richer and the poor don’t have the opportunity to catch up. There is very little social mobility overall, which is a social problem in itself.

Roy also mentioned that the difference between public and private schools is significant, both in the tuition and in the resources that they have. Private schools have only the people who have backgrounds from the highest socioeconomic level, whereas public schools are more available to those who have enough money to attend. It usually happens where people from private schools only interact with other people in their school or others like it, and public school students mingle with other public university students, but he likes to try to get to know a variety of people.

Even though private schools are extremely expensive, Roy was telling me that it doesn’t mean that the resources at these universities are that good. For example, he told me that most of the curriculum that he encounters is theoretical; he is learning C++, but since his university doesn’t have the technology to share with the students, he’s never actually written a program. If the students want to learn the curriculum and practice it, they have to purchase the laptop or tablet themselves, and that requires a lot of money that they usually have a hard time affording on top of their schooling and living expenses already. For most students, they have a hard time adjusting to the real world when they are actually called upon to use these programming languages because they are not used to creating them. If they have the resources to practice, they often have to seek out a professional already in the field to mentor them because professors don’t. It was at that point that I noticed that his phone was something akin to a Blackberry, but it didn’t look like it could connect to the internet. He could play music, but it didn’t look like there was much else involved. Coming from a society where we all have smart phones and personal laptops are expected in college education (UT is in the process of getting rid of or not maintaining their computer labs), it’s humbling to know that there are students who lack the technology to even practice the theory that they learn in class.

Another thing that I saw was little kids (usually under the age of 3) crying hysterically when trying to take their vital signs. They would usually come with their mothers, who would be carrying them and take a seat at our desk. When I had Roy tell them that I would be putting a thermometer underneath their armpits, the tears really started to fall. There was one 3-year old in particular who cried a lot when I put the thermometer under his arm, and obviously that affects my readings for his pulse and respiration rates. However, one of the girls from the internship brought band-aids that had designs like Spiderman that I was able to give him to help him feel a little better. He didn’t stop crying until I took one of the gloves that we had sitting around and blew it up to make a little balloon, which he started to play with and calm down. He was really adorable and a joy to work with, even if he was crying. Working with him and his mother reminded me of why I want to work with kids so much; you can see them develop a trust that lasts for a long time if you are patient and smile, and know how to work through their fears. While I don’t have much experience with pediatrics directly, I’m incredibly excited to get more over the next semester with shadowing. After he and his mother went through our stations, I saw him with his balloon sitting outside on the chair, and he eagerly waved back at me when I waved to him. It was a really special moment for me and one of my favorite single experiences of this internship so far.

One thing that I noticed about Ghanaian children is that they tend to be obedient. When Roy or their parent would scold them for crying, it only took a little bit of time for them to stop crying and resort back to slight sniffling. I also saw another woman who breastfed right in front of me, which is completely natural in this culture but not in American culture. I was a little taken aback by her even though I have seen it before and know it’s not taboo to do so but it’s a Western view on the matter and reminds me how deep my preconceptions run.

Eventually, Roy had to leave to speak to Deanna about the focus groups that we are conducting, so I had Frances, a twin (!) and another interpreter, come help me instead. I really enjoyed working with him as well as Roy because he showed an interest in learning how to use our equipment and take the measurements that we were. The main thing that he asked about was how to take blood pressure, which I explained to him. He wanted to practice on my arm, which I let him do. I think that his measurements were just a little bit off (I think the diastolic pressure he took was too low), but he seemed content to try it. He then wanted me to take his, so I did and told him that, according to my measurements, he is quite healthy. The one thing that I saw happen with him had nothing to do with him personally, but the culture of the community.

One of the questions that I have to ask for the initial assessment is whether women are pregnant, or if they aren’t, when their last menstrual cycle was. What happened once was that I asked this to a young lady (I think she was 15), who immediately look uncomfortable and hesitant to answer. She seemed to be at the age where, even to a doctor or health representative, it was difficult for her to talk to a man about her menstrual cycle. I have yet to have the chance to really ask a Ghanaian about gender roles here, but considering how religious people seem to be, and the fact that we were in a rural community, I’m sure that the feeling was not uncommon and stems from a cultural expectation. Even in the United States, it is a prevalent problem.

I have always thought that it is a wonder that all the people who work for Global Brigades (especially the in-country people) are awesome. They are knowledgeable and inquisitive and have a really open mind and great perspective. They seem to have a great grasp of their culture and customs and a unique ability to share it with us in a way that shows that they have a basic understanding of what we are used to, not just according to the media. They seem to have the ability to really engage with us foreigners and create a connection (though not with every single person, which is an unrealistic expectation to begin with) with many of the brigaders. But the fact I have been able to have great conversations and interactions with all the staff I have encountered in this internship and the two brigades I have been on before is a real commendation on the GB staff selection process, whatever goes into it.

During my breaks (lunch and after we started to close up), I started interacting with some of the kids. What I saw was a continued fascination with cameras and pens, and after much pestering I ended up giving an 11-year old and a 13-year old a pen and the patterned band-aids. I took some great selfies with a lot of them (yay!) and had an awesome time just playing with them as children. One of the girls was holding this cute little corn on the cob with the husks peeled but kept on and tied together, which made for a little doll-looking toy. I’ve always thought that there is a special type of perspective and ingenuity that comes with interacting with children that is hard to find in any other type of context, and that feeling is lost on me during the normal school years because of my limited contact with people outside the ages of 18-22. Even volunteering with Dell Children’s, which is full of young patients, doesn’t let me really play to talk to them.


The most awesome thing happened when we were driving back to our compound; we randomly saw a herd of longhorns running along the side of the road! It was simultaneously the weirdest and most interesting thing that happened so far because cattle are so few and far between in general, and there usually aren’t many non-humans along the main roads. The fact they were longhorns didn’t hurt the matter either. J

The last thing that we did was meet a little bit to talk about our key informant interviews, where we started to see some of our work really come together. The notes from our discussion and our analysis of the information I will hopefully be able to share when we compile it, but I’m extremely interested in reading more thoroughly what was said in both my and the other groups’ interviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment