Thursday, July 9, 2015

7/6/15: Immigration Troubles

I’m writing this a day later, but it’s been a 24 hours that is simultaneously eventful and uneventful all at the same time. I had originally planned to go to Samaipata for Monday – it’s apparently another place filled with nature, including a national park and some ruins – but the Israeli girl and Daniel promptly went back to sleep after breakfast (the arepas that Alejandro made are below!) and then when Daniel woke up, he said that he was going to chill in the city today instead. Since both of my travel companions had bailed and it was around 10 am, I decided that take 2.5 hours there and another 2.5 hours back from the site probably wasn’t going to be worth it, so I relented and started reading The Kill Order, the prequel to James Daschner’s Maze Runner trilogy instead. The wifi wasn’t working, so I basically spent the day reading and studying Spanish. It really was not a bad way to spend a day, and it was nice to have some rest and a day of absolutely nothing.

When it came close to the end of the day, Daniel and I headed to the bus station once again. We found a pretty good price for a bus to Cochabamba (we haggled it down to 60 Bs per person from 70 originally – other options were closer to 120) and went to sit outside. This bus station in particular had a lot of vendors selling all kinds of foods for dinner and snacks, and some of it was incredibly tempting.

What made the night turn from boring into interesting was the approach of two police officers. They worked for immigration, and as predicted, they asked us for our documents. I had mine and showed my passport with no problems, but Daniel did not. It was clear that trying to pretend that we spoke no Spanish was going to get us nowhere, so eventually we tried to explain that we were living in Cochabamba and he had just forgotten his passport there, but it got our argument nowhere. The men asked us to step into their office where they explained that Daniel should stay the night and they could take him to immigration tomorrow morning, but that would be a terrible idea. We had already bought our tickets and we had legal documents, just not on hand at the moment. One guy actually asked if we were dating (LOL NO) and the other asked us to break a 100 Bolivianos bill (what?!).

Eventually it got to the point where I was getting nervous about making the bus myself, and Daniel told me to go catch it. On my way some vendor guy was looking and saying things at me but it sounded like he was hitting on me, so I was creeped out. Luckily, I got to the bus and everything was fine and dandy except for the Daniel situation. I was Facebook messaging Baneen and Jacob the whole time, which was good in that it gave me something to do and focus on.

The bus ride back was actually relatively nice. The extra seat next to me was a place that I could lie down instead of having to lean my seat back a little and pray that I fall asleep soon. In the middle of the night (around 1:30am) the bus stopped presumably to allow people to use the restroom or something. This rude guy came to my seat and put his blanket on my face so that I would wake up, and when I moved my pillow off the seat, he immediately sat down and pushed my backpack under my seat more. I was pissed and tired as heck, but I didn’t know what this guy was doing. I finally got the nerve to show him that both the seats were mine, but he kept sitting there. It wasn’t until I asked what the problem was that he said he would leave when the bus started to back out of the parking lot. I had no idea about the details of what he said, but I’m just glad he finally left. The bus ride, though colder than the one from Cochabamba to Santa Cruz, wasn’t bad though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment