Friday, July 10, 2015

7/7/15: New Couchsurfing Host!

I arrived at the bus station with all my stuff, and I decided just to carry it all with me to Proyecto. Luckily, the trufi there was relatively empty and my large backpack wasn’t a problem, but when I walked into the room the two teachers looked at me like they had never seen a traveler before. I set my stuff down and one of them took my neck pillow to play with it a little – I guess those are uncommon enough here for that to be warranted, and the day proceeded like normal. There was only about ½-2/3 of the normal number of kids, which I think is due to the “winter vacation” that the school is having right now.

All the kids went to sleep at lunch, and the one teacher who has always been a little aggressive and willing to say whatever she wants told me that my boyfriend in the United States probably has found a new girl. What? Where did that even come from, and why would you tell someone that? Along similar lines, relationships are built on mutual trust. Anyways.

She then started asking me about Chinese words. I’m always happy to share, but I was a little disappointed that she sounded like she was making fun of the language a little – emphasizing the slight nasal sound, drawing things like a triangle with a line through it and asking me if that was a Chinese word, etc. I can only control how I react to things and not what things I have to deal with, but that just made me sad. I wish it was easier to learn multiple languages at the same time, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be that bad to try Chinese and Spanish at the same time since I’m mostly familiar with Chinese and the two are very different, right? I might try that when I get back to the States, and focus all my efforts on just Spanish when I can use it.


When I met my new Couchsurfing host, I was a little nervous, but she’s really nice! Her name is Katherine, and she lives a little further from Proyecto and the city center but her house is very nice. There is no wifi, which is a major struggle, and I don’t have a key, but other than that it’s a nice situation. She gave me some tea and bread with jam and told me all about Carnival in Bolivia. She’s from La Paz, but apparently the whole country stops for three months in January to March to party. It’s crazy, apparently – the party moves from city to city during the three months and they all have a distinct way of celebrating and honoring Mother Earth. If I ever come back, it’ll have to be to see that. The Carnival in Oruro is the most famous because it’s so large and the city is so bland otherwise (that I understood). Our conversation was a good start to the new host relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment